- Find a current event in the news that is related in some way to Congress. It can be about a bill being considered, confirmation hearings of Pres. Trump’s appointees, or anything else that is about something happening in either the House of Representatives or the Senate.
- Summarize the article your chose in one paragraph. Explain the who, the what, the where and the why!
- Give your opinion of how you would deal with the issue discussed in the article if you were a member of Congress. Explain why. (Would you vote for or against a bill? Would you vote to confirm or deny an appointee? Etc!)
BW 4) Summarize the 2016 presidential election in 2-5 sentences using the following terms: Plurality, Primary Election, General Election, and Winner-take-all system.
Discussion about today’s Presidential Inauguration
- BW 3) Explain why the 2000 election between Al Gore and George W. Bush was controversial and what the result was. (p. 171)
- Go over Suffrage WS
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ7j7Gv-s5g – Unprecedented movie
BW 2) How significant do you think the right to vote is? Explain your view.
Discuss with class
Start Suffrage chart – How did the right to vote get extended?
- BW 1) Research MLK Day’s history. Explain how it became a federal holiday using the following terms: Congress, bill, and petition
2. Lyrics to “By the Time I Get to Arizona” by Public Enemy
Watch the following video and summarize it using 5 out of the 8 vocabulary words from p. 171 (introduction to Ch. 10). Please UNDERLINE each vocab term used from the list below.
Semester Final Review Presentation
- BW 25) Write one sentence about the 2000 presidential election using the following terms in the sentence: plurality, winner-take-all-system, general election. (p.171)
- Ch. 9 and 10 Unit Test on the online text book
- BW 24) Explain how popular sovereignty is connected to elections.
- Go over review sheet and prepare for test
- BW 23) Explain what a CLOSED primary election is. (p. 175 )
- Go over Unit 3 Review Guide